top of page

Can I Modify My Child Support Order

Can I Modify My Child Support Order?

Is your child support order out of date? Does it no longer suit your children’s needs or your financial picture? If your child support order has become unfair? Ifso, it is time to pursue a child support modification.

The legal system in Illinois allows for modifications to court orders when significant changes in circumstances occur. With more than 25 years of family law experience, our attorneys are prepared to help you pursue a post-judgment modification. Located in Belleville, Weller Law, LLC represents clients on Scott Air Force Base, and throughout St. Clair County and Monroe County.

When you need to update your child support order, contact us. Even if you and the other parent have agreed to a change in child support, a judge must approve the modification to keep you in good standing with the court. Call 618-277-3476 to get started today.

Obtaining Child Support Modifications

It may be possible to successfully change your child support order if you can prove a compelling change in circumstances warrants, such as:

  • Job loss or a significant increase or decrease in either parent’s income

  • A major increase or decrease in either parent’s expenses

  • A dramatic change in health insurance rates or health care costs for the child

  • Evolving financial needs of the child

  • As well as other factors as may be determined on a case by case basis

You may also be able to achieve a child support modification if your order is simply outdated in terms of the state’s child support guidelines. In certain cases, if you can show that a current application of the guidelines would result in a significant difference compared to your current order, a modification may also be possible.

Illinois’ child support guidelines, however, are not as simple as they seem. While the child support calculator seems straightforward, the numbers that are entered the formula are not. Whether you need change to a child support order or are fighting to prevent a modification, we can guide you through every step of the process.

Avoid Being Found In Contempt Of Court

It is important to remember that child support orders are court orders. If you intend to change your arrangement, this must be approved by a judge before you start reducing your payments. If you fail to do so, you could be found in contempt of court for violating a court order. Judges can order a parent to go to jail, suspend drivers licenses, pay fees, and impose other sanctions for failing to pay child support.

Learn More About Your Legal Options. Call For A Free Consultation.

Schedule a free consultation with one of our family law attorneys and together we will create a plan to accomplish your goals. Email us today, or call our Belleville office at 618-277-3476.

bottom of page